Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lilongwe Wood Carving Market



While in Malawi we took in the sights and sounds of many markets. I practiced my bartering skills with a new friend nick-named "Chicken Legs." I negotiated an 18,000 Kwacha asking price down to 6,000 Kwacha, not too bad for a beginner. The boys were even so kind as to roll up a log for me to sit on during our long talk. I came to find out later from my friend Mwaona that the guys were joking in Chichewa (Malawi's national language until 1968) about my dollars to Kwacha (Malawi currency) cheat sheet that I obviously didn't have concealed as good as I thought!

At the wood carving market I bought a Noah's Arc with 20 hand carved animals, two of each kind and a 10 piece nativity set (in dollars $20 each) Pretty incredible to watch the young men sitting behind their stands doing all of the carving themselves.




No comments:

Post a Comment